Sunday, March 13, 2011

One frustrating weekend

This weekend has been very frustrating from a pregnancy standpoint.  Beginning yesterday at around 2pm, I began having frequent Braxton Hicks contractions, so I started drinking copious quantities of water and laid down on my left side in bed as is supposedly the trick to resolving them.  Yet no matter how much water I consumed or how long I laid still and focused on relaxing my body, the contractions persisted.  Completely painless, but contractions nevertheless. 

At around 5pm I decided it was time to start paying attention to their frequency and duration and found that in the next hour I had a total of 10 contractions, although spaced at irregular intervals and lasting 15-20 seconds each, all while still lying down.  Based on my doctor's warnings about BH contractions to call if ever I had more than 5 in an hour or they became regular in frequency, I thought this a good enough reason to contact the office's answering service to speak with the on-call doctor.  I was feeling a little unnerved being just on the verge of 31 weeks, having already given birth to one early baby (Emma), who depending on the pediatrician you talk to has sometimes been referred to as a premie born at 37 weeks.

I called the answering service at 6pm, and was told if I did not hear back from the on-call physician in 30 minutes to call back.  35 minutes passed, no phone call, so I called again.  Was told once again to call back in 30 if my phone stayed silent, and again 30 minutes later still nothing!  I called one last time, was essentially told by the calling service that I must have a block on my phone line for unknown callers no matter how much I insisted I do not (because we DON'T have any blocks placed on our phone line - we get enough unsolicited "unknown" callers to prove it!), and was told to call back again in 30 if I still heard nothing.  I'm sure you see where this is headed....

STILL NO PHONE CALL FROM A DOCTOR!!! 

At this point the contractions had tapered off a bit, so I gave up for the night.  Fortunately our good friends, Tasha, Matt, and little Sawyer came over for the evening, which helped me get my mind off of the afternoon.

This morning while in the shower the Braxton Hicks kicked in again, and were coming pretty rapidly, so I got out, dressed, chugged a pint of water, and laid down on my left side again.  This time they definitely tapered off while lying down to only 4 in an hour, so we'll see how the rest of the day goes.  Kurt is busily running around the house, taking care of child, baby nursery preparations, ant extermination, and a thousand other projects.  I really hate laying around feeling useless and unable to help, especially when there is SO much to do.  Yes, yes, I know, I know, I am growing a human and I'm not "useless" in that regard, but I'd really prefer to grow a human while going about my daily business.

One thing is for sure, my doctor's office is getting a phone call from me tomorrow morning to find out what in the hell their problem was this weekend.  I most certainly do not want to have my water break or go into full-blown labor 6-9 weeks from now on an evening or weekend and get no response from them.  Unacceptable!

0 comments:

Post a Comment